Beauty Product Requirements
What does it take for a beauty product to be accepted to Sagekat? Green claims and a brown label are not enough (note to greenwashers). We research every line we showcase, making our best most stubborn effort to ensure that they are:
- Effective, an Excellent Value and a Joy to Use – Products need to do as they claim, look good and offer a pleasureful, high-value experience.
- Non-Toxic – We consider each product’s actual contents, not just its “free-of” list. “Sulfate free” is great — but not with other ingredients that are worse!
- Cruelty Free – Products must be free of animal testing; extra points for vegan. We accept no products sold in China, until China no longer requires animal testing.
- Ethically Made – We focus on fair-trade and eco-friendly practices, ingredients and components, as well as thoughtful production by indie makers or in equitable labor markets.
- From Conscientious Brands – We love promoting independent companies that show they care through charitable giving, activism, and environmental and community work.
These are some of the standards, ethics and practices we take into consideration when assessing fashion brands and items:
- Good design
- High standards
- Sustainable, reduced resources
- Non-toxic materials
- Cleaner processing, production methods
- No dry cleaning required
- Recycled materials
- Vintage and upcycled
- Fair trade
- Made in country with good labor regulations
- Woman owned
- Donate to charity